With teachers day coming up we thought it would be fun to make an applique book bag! So today we will show you how to do your own applique with a step by step tutorial.
- Fabric of your choice
- Fusible adhesive
- Sewing Machine
Step 1: Choose fabric and shape of applique
- We decided to do several different sized rectangles to make books on our book bag!
- We also decided to use different types of fabrics to give texture to our bag. Below you can see the fabrics we chose for each design!
Step 2: Fuse adhesive to fabric
- Next you will fuse one side of your adhesive to the wrong side of your fabric according to your fusings instructions.
Step 3: Cutting Fabric
- Now you will cut out the shapes you plan to applique on your bag.
Step 4: Fuse shape to bag
- Now you will lay out where you want your shapes and fuse them onto your bag, by following the instructions for your adhesive.
Step 5: Sewing on applique
- Next it is time to sew on your applique.
- If you need to stabilize your bag more you can use a stabilizer on the back of the bag.
- Once your stabilizer is in place you will then edge stitch around the entire shape.
- You can choose to do a straight stitch, zigzag stitch or even a decorative stitch.
- To give our books more shape we chose to do 2 straight stitches on one side to look like binding and a decorative stitch on the other side to look like pages!
- Now you know how to applique! You can applique shirts, pants, blankets and more the possibilities are endless!
Want to use the same fabrics and designs we did? We chose stockinette stitch purple printed on our polyester slub jersey and stockinette stitch orange printed on our faux linen slub both designed by Studio Fibonacci. We also chose Plus Flower Yellow printed on our flame retardant faux linen canvas and scrapes printed on our cotton poplin both designed by sas276. Next we chose White Chevrons on Yellow printed on our organic cotton jacquard designed by Jabiroo and Morning Dew printed on our polyester velour designed by Third and Wall. The last 2 designs we chose we had printed on our basic combed cotton. Scribble Polka Dots Red by Khaus and Bluma on blueberry monotone by LilyOake. You can find all these designs and more under our shop tab or upload your own!
To thank all of our teachers out there we are offering free shipping until February 17th! Just use code teach17 at checkout!