Time to gear up for school! Looking for the perfect school supplies that truly express you? Create your own one-of-a-kind supplies with custom fabric! Make book covers, sandwich bags, or even this fun pencil case, the options are endless! Follow our tutorial below to make your own custom pencil case.
- 9″ Zipper
- Sewing Machine
- zipper foot
- Marking Pen
Step 1: Choose your fabric
- Choose 2 fabrics one for the outside of your pencil case and a fun matching fabric for your lining!
- Choose how sturdy you want the case to be and choose an interfacing accordingly.
Step 2: Cut your fabric
- Now you will cut out two 6″x 10″ rectangles from each fabric. (A total of 4 pattern pieces)
- Cut two 6″ x 10″ rectangles from your desired interfacing and attach to the wrong side of the outer pattern pieces.
Step 3: Attaching the zipper
- Next you will take one outer piece face up and place the zipper face down along the long topside of the pattern piece matching the raw edges.
- Next you will take one lining piece upside down and place it on top of the zipper and outer piece. Line up top raw edges, sandwiching the zipper in between.
- Baste the zipper in place.
- Using a zipper foot sew along zipper edge.
- Repeat for other side of zipper.
Step 4: Top stitch
- Now match one outer piece and one lining piece on either side of zipper and press flat.
- Top stitch 1/8-1/4″ away from seam line.
Step 5: Sewing the bottom
- Now take both the outer pieces and match right sides together and sew bottom long end closed at 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Next take both the lining pieces and match right sides together and sew bottom long end closed at 1/2″ seam allowance leaving a 2″ opening in the center.
Step 6: Closing the sides
- Now you will take the side of the outer pieces and line up the seam line with the zipper in the center and press flat.
- Pin and sew closed over zipper and all at 1/2″ seam allowances.
- Repeat for each outer side and each lining side.
Step 7: Squaring the sides
- Next you will take one corner and squish the corner in with the seam in the center.
- Take your ruler, measure and draw a 2.5″ line across the corner.
- Sew along that line and trim off excess fabric and clip corners leaving a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Repeat for all 4 corners.
Step 8: Finishing up
- Now turn your pencil case right side out through the opening in your lining.
- Iron and press any creases or wrinkles and press closed opening in lining.
- Hand or machine stitch closed opening
- Voila you are done!
Love the fabrics we chose? They are designed by Arthousedesign and we had them printed on our basic combed cotton. Get these designs, upload your own, or choose another design from our gallery and get them printed on any of our 26 high quality fabrics!